Our mission is to bring everyone the cooking inspiration to create meals they love. To do that, we show you personalized content we think you’ll be interested in based on information we collect from you and third parties. We only use that information where we have a proper legal basis for doing so.
We wrote this policy to help you understand what information we collect, how we use it and what choices you have about it. Because we’re an internet company, some of the concepts below are a little technical, but we’ve tried our best to explain things in a simple and clear way. We welcome your questions and comments on this policy.
We collect information in a few different ways
1. When you give it to us or give us permission to obtain it
When you sign up for or use Flavrs you voluntarily share certain information including your name, email address, phone number, photos, bookmarks, comments, and any other information you give us. You can also choose to share your precise location using your device settings or through photos. We will still use your IP address, which is used to approximate your location, even if you don't choose to share your precise location. You will also have the option to share other information about yourself such as your gender, age and preferred language.
If you connect your Facebook, Google other third-party accounts to Flavrs, we use information from those accounts (such as your friends or contacts) to improve your Flavrs experience. This is dependent on the privacy policies or settings for those accounts.
2. We also get technical information when you use Flavrs
When you use a website, mobile application or other internet service, certain internet and electronic network activity information gets created and logged automatically. This is also true when you use Flavrs. Here are some of the types of information we collect:
- Log data. When you use Flavrs, our servers record information (“log data”), including information that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit a website, or that your mobile app automatically sends when you’re using it. This log data includes your Internet Protocol address (which we use to infer your approximate location), the address of and activity on websites you visit that incorporate Flavrs features (like the “Save” button), searches, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used Flavrs, cookie data and device data.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using Flavrs on, including the type of device, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers and crash data that helps us understand when something breaks.
- Clickstream data and inferences. When you’re on Flavrs, we use your activity—such as which recipe you click on, collections you create, and any text that you add in a comment or description—along with information you provided when you first signed up and information from our partners to make inferences about you and your preferences. For example, if you create a collection about vegan desserts, we may infer you are a vegan dessert enthusiast.
3. Our partners and advertisers share information with us
We also get information about you and your activity outside Flavrs from our affiliates, advertisers, partners and other third parties we work with. For example:
- Some websites or apps use Flavrs features such as our “Save” button, or you may install our “Save” button for your browser. If so, we collect log data from those sites or apps.
- Third parties share information with us to measure, report on or improve the performance of recommendations on Flavrs, or to figure out what kinds of recommendations to show you on or off of Flavrs. This includes information about your visits to a partner's site or purchases you made from them, or information about your interests from a third-party service, which we might use to help show you relevant recommendations.
What we do with the info we collect
We’re committed to showing you content that’s relevant, interesting and personal to you. To do that, we use your information to provide and improve your experience, including:
- Identify you when you use Flavrs.
- Recommend recipes, pages, topics or categories you might like based on your activity on Flavrs.
- Respond to your questions or comments.
We have a legitimate interest for using your info in these ways. It's fundamental to what we do at Flavrs and necessary in order to make Flavrs and its features relevant and personalized to you.
We also have a legitimate interest in making Flavrs safe and improving our product features so you keep finding the inspiration you want. We all benefit when we use your information to:
- Suggest other people who have similar interests..
- Help your friends and contacts find you on Flavrs, if you agree to this in your settings. For example, if you sign up using a Facebook account, we can help your Facebook friends find you on Flavrs when they first sign up for Flavrs. Or people can search for your account on Flavrs using your email.
- Review your messages on Flavrs to detect activity that poses a risk to the safety of you, our community and/or members of the public.
- Conduct analytics and research on who is using Flavrs and what they are doing. For example, by logging how often people use two different versions of a feature on Flavrs, we can understand which version is better.
- Improve Flavrs and offer new features.
- Advertise Flavrs products and services to you on other sites.
- Send you updates (such as when certain activity, like saves or comments, happens on Flavrs) and news by email or push notification, depending on your settings. For example, we send weekly updates that include recipes you may like.
In addition to the specific circumstances above, we’ll only use your information with your consent in order to:
- Allow searching with photos.
- Send you marketing materials by email, text, push notification or phone call depending on your account or operating system settings. Each time we send you marketing materials, we give you the option to unsubscribe.
- Identify your precise location and customize the content we show you.
- Identify you across different browser sessions. This means if you log into Flavrs from your phone (or any device), we'll remember that you're you and then you won't need to enter your login details each time you visit Flavrs.
Transferring your information
Flavrs is a worldwide service. By using our products or services, you authorize us to transfer and store your information outside your home country, including in the United States, for the purposes described in this policy. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in such countries may not be equivalent to those of your home country.
See the section for EEA Residents to learn more about data transfers to and from that region.
Choices you have about your info
Our goal is to give you simple and meaningful choices regarding your information. If you have a Flavrs account, many of these controls are built directly into Flavrs or your settings. For example, you can:
- Edit information in your profile at any time.
- Link or unlink your Flavrs account from other services (like Facebook, Google or Twitter). For some services (like Facebook), you can also decide whether or not to publish your Flavrs activity to that service.
- Close your account at any time. When you close your account, we’ll deactivate it, and delete your account data. Please note that there may be legal reasons for us to keep your data, such as if we receive a law enforcement request asking us to preserve data. We may also retain certain information in our backup systems for a limited period of time, or as required by law.
How long we keep your information
We keep your information only so long as we need it to provide Flavrs to you and fulfill the purposes described in this policy. This is also the case for anyone that we share your information with and who carries out services on our behalf. When we no longer need to use your information and there is no need for us to keep it to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, we’ll either remove it from our systems or depersonalize it so that we can't identify you.
Our policy on children’s information
Children under 13 are not allowed to use Flavrs. If you are based in the EEA you may only use Flavrs if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country.
You have options in relation to the information that we have about you. To exercise these options, please visit your account settings.
- Have your information corrected or deleted. You can update your information in your profile or delete your data by closing your account.
- Object to us processing your information. You can ask us to stop using your information, including when we use your information to send you marketing emails or push notifications. If you opt out of receiving marketing messages from us, we may still send you updates about your account.
- Have the information you provided to us sent to another organization, where we hold this information with your consent or for the performance of a contract with you, and, where it's technically feasible for us to do so.
- Request more details about the information we collect and how and why we use and share it.
We will not discriminate against you if you choose to exercise your options related to your personal information. We work to be clear with you about your options and the consequences of exercising certain options. If you have questions, please contact us.
Residents of the EEA
Because Flavrs is a worldwide service, we may transfer the personal data of EEA residents to a country outside the EEA. Where we transfer information from the EEA to a country that doesn't provide an adequate level of protection, we’ll only do so under appropriate safeguards to protect your information, like standard contractual clauses.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires us to disclose categories of Personal Information we collect and how we use it, the categories of sources from whom we collect Personal Information, and the third parties with whom we share it, which we have explained above.
We are also required to communicate information about rights California residents have under California law. You may exercise the following rights:
- Right to Know and Access. You may submit a verifiable request for information regarding the: (1) categories of Personal Information we collect, use, or share; (2) purposes for which categories of Personal Information are collected or used by us; (3) categories of sources from which we collect Personal Information; and (4) specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you.
- Right to Equal Service. We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your privacy rights.
- Right to Delete. You may submit a verifiable request to close your account and we will delete Personal Information about you that we have collected.
In order to verify your identity when you make a request, you will be required to log in to your password-protected account or respond to an email verification request.
We do not sell the Personal Information of our users.
For more information about these rights, please see “Choices you have about your info” above, and to exercise them, please contact us.
In addition to exercising these rights yourself, you may also designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. In order to do this, we will ask you to verify the request directly via email or through your password-protected account.
We collect the following categories of Personal Information and in the past 12 months, we have disclosed these categories of Personal Information for a business purpose to affiliates, service providers and third parties:
- Identifiers, such as your name, username, email address, phone number, unique device identifiers, and your IP address
- Personal characteristics protected by law, such as your gender and age
- Commercial information, such as purchases made, and payment information
- Internet or electronic network activity information, such as information about your device and your use of our Services
- Geo-location data, when shared through your device settings or photos
- Electronic, visual, or similar information, such as your profile picture or photos
- Professional or employment information, when you link your account to other accounts
- Inferences we draw or derive about users, such as your interests or preferences
- Other information you provide, such as your bio, bookmarks, and comments
How we make changes to this policy
We may change this policy from time to time and if we do, we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use Flavrs after those changes are in effect, you agree to the new policy. If the changes are significant, we may provide a more prominent notice or get your consent, as required by law.
The best way to get in touch with us or to exercise your options described above is via email. You can contact Flavrs Inc. at email@example.com
Effective June 30, 2022.